Wednesday, January 4, 2012

For Auld Lang Syne.......and new beginnings

The start of a new year.

The feeling of a "fresh start"....a "do over" if you will. 

It's funny how - from one day to the next - we can hold on to problems or issues with the best of 'em.  But come December 31st, suddenly we're able to compartmentalize and put an entire year's worth of crap behind us and wake up on January 1st feeling rejuvenated and new....

...with the exception of that ever-so-slight hangover.

I think Scarlett O'Hara had the right mantra, "I'll think about that....tomorrow".  She'd say that in the toughest of times - knowing full well that "tomorrow" really never comes and yet everyting just works itself out somehow.  There's something really refreshing about that attitude, I think.

(...unless, of course,  you try and apply that line of thinking to your laundry or your refrigerator.  Then unfortunately you wake up one morning with nothing to wear and a grumbling stomach.)

But I digress.

It is a new year, and - as most people do right about this time of year - I've been considering my "resolutions" and what it is that I can do to make this a stellar year and take some steps in the right direction.  So without further ado - I present my official "Things I want to achieve in 2012, but have no reasonable expectation that they'll get done" list.

1) Find a better hiding place for those 15 pounds I keep trying to lose (because I tell ya, they just keep finding me again and again and again).

2) Learn more French words than just "hello", "good-bye" and all the dirty ones.

3) Learn the difference between being "in the red" and "in the black" - and then get in with the good one.

4) Win the lottery

5) Amendment to #4 - Win the lottery with a prize that includes a high number and a lot of zeros before the decimal point

6) In lieu of winning the lottery, figure out what I want to be when I grow up and find a way to make it happen.

7) Successfully outrun Zombies (http://www.runforyourlives.com/)

8) Spend more money in the grocery store than I do in restaurants.

9) Be kinder to my liver

10) Be a little better about writing this blog.  (my last post was in......November?  DANG!!!  I suck.)

I think these are obtainable....don't you?

I have to say that, although 2011 was not a terrible year by any means, there is a certain - I don't know - excitement I feel about this year as opposed to last.   Last year was all about searching and change; this year feels like it will be more about accomplishment and achievement. Life is so short...I can type this today full of optimism with a slight bit of apprehensive nervousness - but who knows where I'll actually be 362 days from now.  It's exciting....and scary....but definitely something to look forward to....

....after all...tomorrow is another day.