Saturday, August 18, 2012

New York State of Mind

So I had the opportunity to visit the lovely city of New York this last week. 

New York is an interesting place, in my opinion.  There's so much to see and do - I think the vibe of the city is exciting, exhilarating, and frightening all at the same time.  It's a lovely place to visit - but I truly don't think I could ever live there.  But then I suppose people say that about Los Angeles and lots of other places........ 

(...except San Diego.  I haven't come across anyone who has said they wouldn't like to live in San Diego.  I mean...what's not to love??  You've got sun, sand, Sea World, perfect 70 degree weather almost year-round, breweries (LOTS of breweries...)...Mmm....beer.....but I digress)

Anyway - my trip was for work, but I did get the opportunity to explore the city a little bit and do a few things.  For example:




So far I've been to 7 Major League Baseball Stadiums (Arizona, San Diego, LA Dodgers, LA Angels, D.C., San Francisco and now New York), each one as much fun to visit as the last.  And like each stadium, Yankee Stadium has several things unique about it.  For example:


New York Strip Steak Sandwiches.  Seriously.  Look at the size of those fillets!  That is a whole slab of cow grilled up and slapped on a bun.  Dress it up with some lettuce, tomatoes, onion, cheese, and a little attitude and you have got yourself one taaaaaasty sandwich!

Next:


The history of the Yankees - from stories and stats, trophies to rings; there are some very cool things in the museum.  You can even see how your name would look on a locker -


I think I could do well as a professional bench warmer.

And then of course, there's just the whole dang field itself:


And despite the fact that they only recently moved into this stadium, somehow standing there amongst the cheering fans with the warm summer breeze blowing by and a cold beer in hand, you can feel the history behind the team; it may be a new building, but it's as though this has been their home forever. 

Getting around the city is a treat.  On this visit, I spent a little more time familiarizing myself with the subway system.  Sadly, I am not what one would call an "expert" - (although I can distinguish between "Uptown" and "Downtown" now); but I did take a little time to visit one of the more popular subway stops:


What a building!!  The architecture, the details, the "Grand-ness" of it all.  For a train station, it is truly a work of art. 



They just don't build 'em like they used to.  Definitely a must-see, if you've not had a chance to before.

My travels also took me to many of the familiar sights....


New York Public Library
Empire State Building

The Flatiron - and a place for fishing gear for my friend Mollie!!




(OK, I don't know exactly how popular that last one is; but it definitely catches the eye....)

I also got the chance to sample some of the local flavor:



Beechers - cheese made right there in the store!!



And check out some great "dive bar" action:



This place -  "No Idea Bar" - not only an awesome hangout with great local brew and their own brand of vodka, but if your name is on their calendar, you drink for free from 5p-11p.  I was there on Balazs' night to drink.  I'm pretty sure the bar will more than make up for that come "Brian", "Chris" or "Bill" night....

Of course, as I mentioned, I was in NYC for work - so what trip would be complete without a night out with co-workers??


But as I said before, although it's a great place to visit, I had somewhere else I wanted to be.  So farewell to the Big Apple.... 


And back to life in LA LA Land.  "There's no place like home", right?

Although a trip to San Diego doesn't sound too bad right about now either.....