Tuesday, September 1, 2015

A BIG night out in Los Angeles

When I first heard about today's National Day celebration...I really was not quite sure what to expect.  National Chicken Boy Day...????  As I read further and found out that Chicken Boy is located right here in Los Angeles...well...I've never been one to pass up an opportunity to check out the unusual, so this was a day I had to make sure I celebrated in person.

Today is National Chicken Boy Day.  Chicken Boy used to be perched on the roof a fried chicken restaurant in downtown LA.  But after the restaurant's owner passed away, Chicken Boy was saved by Amy Inouye and now lives happily in Highland Park atop her design firm (apparently she had to have the roof reinforced just to hold up 'ole Chicken Boy's weight...apparently too much fried chicken in his diet).

So in honor of National Chicken Boy Day, apparently September 1st is his ceremonial birthday, we made the trek north.  At first, it seemed a bit difficult to find him...until we saw the marker on the building:



...and looked up.


And there he sits...keeping watch over Figueroa Street from his rooftop roost.  Chicken Boy..."The Statue of Liberty of Los Angeles." Check out the whole story: www.chickenboy.com.

On the way home, we decided to take a quick detour to McArthur park to take a quick peek at a new art installation I found out about from my friend Sally's Facebook page.  It's called The Spheres at MacArthur Park - a floating exhibition that is really too amazing to describe in words.


Hundreds of hand painted spheres floating on the lake...


Just drifting along in the breeze...




Meanwhile, I'm just going to assume someone approved this with the sign police...because I'm pretty sure someone's gonna notice....



For more information, check it out here:  www.portraitsofhope.org