Friday, July 1, 2016

Congrats To My Favorite Postal Worker

Today is National Postal Worker Day.

Coincidentally, today is also the very first day of my father's retirement.  Retirement from the US Postal Service after 45 years of service.

The Final Clock-out


45 years!!!!  The same company!!!

How many of us are working for the same company as little as 5 years later?

45 years.  That's a lifetime.  Literally.   Dad started working at the post office before I was born!  The only thing I've done for nearly the same amount of time is breathe.  And blink.  Otherwise, I don't think I will ever have anything else in my life come anywhere close to matching that type of dedication.  Granted, dad had a variety of jobs within the postal service all that time; but the paychecks kept coming from the same place.

Dad has an amazing work ethic (has? had?...does one still have a work ethic after retirement?).  In 45 years of service, I'm pretty sure that he never called into work sick and I guarantee you he was never late.  Growing up, I remember year after year he would get awards and accolades for his perfect attendance.  It may seem strange - awards for perfect attendance at a place outside of school - but consider never calling in sick....never being late to work.  I get the slightest hint of a headache and I'm down for the count.  Yearly I end up with more sick than sick days.  Now don't get me wrong; dad would plan for time off - doctor's appointments, knee surgery, etc.; but to actually call in sick?  Like with a cold?  Nope.  Pretty sure never.  In 45 years.

45 years.  When my father started working for the post office, the cost of a stamp was 6-cents.  6-cents!!!

If you're wondering, the cost of a postage stamp today is 46-cents.

My mother worked nights and dad worked days - this is how they were able to raise (successfully??) two daughters.  Someone was always there for us all the time.  As a kid, I just took it for granted that this was their schedule.  But as an adult, I realize what a sacrifice it is to forego seeing your spouse for days at a time just to ensure there's always a parent around for the kids.  A few hours at the most each day - that's how much time they saw each other - while my sister and I got to enjoy spending time with them (albeit separately) all the time.  Even if they weren't my parents, I still think that's pretty incredible.

My father rarely, if ever, complained about work.  Granted, he's always been surrounded by at least 3 females who can (and do) any of the complaining about anything for him; but ne'er a disparaging word would he speak about his job or his co-workers.  And I always got the impression my dad was just as affable at work as he is at home.  From time to time I would stop in to see my dad at work...just because I was in the neighborhood...or to take him out to lunch.  And everyone would always smile, take me to dad's desk, say something jovial, kind, or complimentary - every time.  My dad is the calm in the storm...and I think he brought some of that to the workplace.  And maybe just a little bit of humor.




Today is National Postal Worker Day.  There were people delivering the mail before my dad walked in the door 45 years on his first day of work...and the mail will be delivered today even without him there.  And to all of those postal workers, I'd like to say thank you for all of your hard work and effort!!!

But to me, there is (was?) no better employee for the US Postal Service than my dad.

As the creed goes:  Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds....

Congratulations, Dad.  You completed your rounds...each and every day of all those years.