Friday, August 27, 2010

U-Turns on the Road of Life

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."

With all due respect to Robert Frost, I have found myself wondering about the road less traveled recently.  Now, for anyone who knows me, I've always tried to live a life with no regrets.  "How is that possible," you ask; "life is full of regrets."   Ahhh, but no.   Actually...if you think about it...every choice you ever make in your life brings you to the exact moment you are at right now.  Circular reasoning?  Perhaps.  But here's where this slightly warped view comes from.  Once upon a time I was asked, "if there was one moment in your life you could change, what would it be?"  So I pondered this thought long and hard.  And after careful consideration, I realized I would change nothing.  Now, that doesn't mean that there aren't horrible moments in my life that I've tried desperately to suppress (some successfully, others not so much).  But each moment I've experienced--either good or bad--has brought me to this exact point in my life.  And although it's been crazy at times, I can honestly say that I could die happy with the life I've lived....so that can't be all bad, right?  Now I realize that not everyone will subscribe to my theory...but that's cool.  This is just how I view things.

Which leads me to the road less traveled.  Going back to Frost, according to him, for the choice you made, there is the one you didn't.  And while not regretting my decisions, I find myself wondering if it's possible to stop on the path I chose in the wood, backtrack and go back down the other lane after all.  Is a "Do Over" really possible in the game of life?  Can you decide you don't like the the way the dice land on the table, scoop 'em all up in the cup and try for Yahtzee??  If you choose to make another U-turn, after the original U-Turn...does that put you back where you started, or do you end up somewhere different anyway because now you're traveling with a different pack of vehicles? 

And in considering this alternative road theory, here's something new I wonder....how will I know if backtracking was the right decision?

Life is funny. Not necessarily "Fungi" funny....but funny nonetheless.