Monday, August 30, 2010

Back to the West Coast (or..."all skate...change direction!!")

So it's been 6 weeks to the day that I rolled into Virginia, ready to start a new life in the Mid-Atlantic. I've met a lot of fabulous people...seen some wonderful sights, visited new places and discovered a new career path. All in all, not too shabby for six weeks, right?? I mean, considering where I was when I started this thing, you'd think that I've at least started to find my way again, right?

Would it come as a huge surprise to you to learn that I've now decided to pack it all up again and head right back to California?

Yup...you got it. True to its title, and with little more than a slight idea of where my life is going, I'm off again, life packed up in a U-Haul trailer, fur-family in tow and drivin' it back to San Diego. After all, what's a little insanity amongst friends??

So you may be asking yourself, "why?" (God knows I still am). Well, as I'm stuck in traffic here, westbound on the 66, I'm still trying to completely sort it out myself. I guess the best explanation I can give you is this....that although the last several weeks have been a whirlwind of fun, excitement and adventure, I've also come to realize that there's an underlying emptiness that all the fun, excitement and adventure wasn't filling. And I just don't believe I'm going to be able to find what I need in Virginia. But knowing how much I love San Diego, I think I at least have a better shot of finding what I need in a city I still consider to be "home." Don't get me wrong...I'm thrilled with all that I did...even just having the opportunity to try was exhilarating. But sometimes, maybe you have to take that one step backward to go two steps forward.

So what now?

Well, for the next 48 hours we meander our way westward (dog panting in my ear, cats yowling in the back). On my way out East, I had posted updates to Facebook along the way at each major city and stop...I'm considering going back and re-posting them all again, just in reverse order. Would anyone else find that funny but me?

After that? Start all over again. Find a new job (watch out San Diego breweries...I'm headed your way), unpack and try to find a new path (again). But if you can be patient with me, I'll drag you along and we'll find out together just how far down this new path of insanity we can travel together!!

Tell you this....I may not know exactly where I'm going, but I'm making GREAT time!!!