Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Welcome!!!

Well hi there.
So most of you probably know my story already, but in case not, here's the really, really, really abridged version. In the current economic state, I decided that having a steady paycheck seemed overrated, so I quit my job, packed up my home, moved across country and am now trying to figure out who I am and what I want to be when I grow up.  (I'm still trying to figure out if THAT was a smart move or not).  But in the meantime, I'm out and about, exploring the city and sharing this craziness with those who will listen.

So far, we've visited the National Gallery of Art, went to a National's baseball game, got a job at a brewery, visited Fredricksburg, were in Baltimore for the Heart concert (which we watched from a pirate ship...a PIRATE ship!!), and visited the National Aquarium.  And while I'm absolutely loving all the fabulous sights and sounds of DC and the surrounding area, there is something that I've desperately missed since leaving California.....the ocean.

So today's travels bring us to Ocean City, Maryland for a chance to walk in the sand, stick a toe in the Atlantic and breath in that fabulous, salty sea air. 

First off...let me just point out a major difference in driving between states on both coasts...where are all of the Border Patrol checkpoints?  Seriously.   Unfortunately, instead of checkpoints with green uniforms, they've all been replaced by toll booths that take all the green in your wallet.  So although now I don't have to worry about looking less-Latina at the borders, instead I have to pay to get in and out of each freakin' place.  I think I preferred profiling...it was cheaper.

I noticed that there were a lot of cornfields along the route.  A LOT.  I don't know what I was expecting to see when I drove through Maryland...but I gotta tell you, the set for the movie Jeepers Creepers was not one of them.  And I lived in Iowa for a brief period of time, people....but this was just a little freaky for me...in the daylight!!!

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is cool...I find it amazing that before these bridges are built, people either had to hoof all around the state to get from one place to the next or jump on a boat.  The engineering and design of this thing is truly spectacular. 




By the way, let me take this opportunity to point out that it's really strange to go East to the ocean and not West.  I realize that for those of you who live on this end of the country this is probably not that big a deal--but for someone who always looked for the "West Interstate 8" signs so she didn't get lost on the way to the Pacific (which, allegedly, might have happened once or twice)...it's a big thing.

Another oddity....




This is the landscape 4 miles from Ocean City and the beach.  Now for those of you who are in California or have visited, seriously think about this.  4 miles from PB is the I-5/I-8 interchange.  4 miles from Manhattan Beach is the 405 at Rosecrans.  Could you even imagine seeing this much available real estate driving to either beach?  Can you imagine being able to buy real estate 4 miles from either beach.  Where do I sign up for this craziness????  Heck, I'll plant a corn field if I have to!!

Along those same lines....here's real estate once you're IN Ocean City...



Yeah.  That's under 300k.  With a DOCK!!! 

OK, so unfortunately, Mother Nature wasn't quite so cooperative as I arrived in Ocean City.  Rain.  Lots of it.  Right away.  So we seek shelter from the storm. But where?  Behold....a beacon in the dark...a lighthouse to guide me to safety...


What?  It was dry, it was open, it had chicken wings...you act surprised??

Sun out finally, I hit the beach...


And it's an interesting sight.  No surfers...but then again, not a whole lot of wave action.  The water is slightly warmer--but y'all know what a puss I am anyway about the temperature, so it's not like I was going to dive in regardless.  There actually is a whole boardwalk situation with amusement rides, food, shops...the whole nine yards.  People watching was fun.  Made some new friends...



...unfortunately, he also became dinner.  Sorry, dude.

So that's hanging out in the OC (Maryland-style).  I'm thinking the next time I want to venture to the beach we'll head off to Virginia Beach.....unless anyone has some other suggestions as to where a fabulous beach might be.  I'm always open to suggestions...

Thanks for reading tonight's post.  We'll see what tomorrow brings...