Friday, February 11, 2011

Half Full or Half Empty...All I Know Is That I Need More Beer In My Glass

Today I fit into my "skinny" jeans.  

YEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!

Now.....I didn't say I fit into them well....but I was able to zip them up and sit down in a chair without busting the seam along my butt.  It's a small accomplishment, but after killing myself at the gym this week, it at least makes me feel like all of my efforts weren't for nothing.

*******
My boss notified us today that he was resigning.  I am profoundly saddened by this.  There are maybe 3 people that I've worked for that I truly respect and admire--he is one of them.  And it's not just because he has a high level of knowledge in his profession;  it includes how well he interacts with other people, his ability to inspire and motivate, and the fact that he just made coming to work fun (and the fact that he had enough faith in my abilities to offer me a job when I really, really one needed doesn't hurt either). 

*******
Valentine's Day is Monday and I think that I will be happy to see it go.  Not for the reasons that you might think, however.  My desire for this holiday to pass has nothing more to do with my desperate need for Brach's Candy Hearts to disappear off the shelves for another 11 months.  Seriously.  I don't know what kind of crazy addictive additive they put in those cute little heart shaped sugary sweet tasties...but whatever it is makes them insanely good.  I can go through an entire bag in just one sitting.  I don't even bother reading them anymore.  In my mind they all say "Eat Me"....and I can't help but oblige. 

Of course I just realized that I hope they don't really all say "Eat Me"...because if they do, then I'm going to have to seriously reconsider putting these in a bowl on my desk to share with co-workers.

*******
Valentine's Day is Monday, and I think I'm nervous to see it go.  But not because I'll be happy to see those calorie packing, evil, addictive candy hearts go off the shelves....but because it means the return of....wait for it.....PEEPS!!!!   Oye!  Adorable, tasty, squishy, marshmallowey chickens and bunny rabbits slathered in pink and yellow sugar.  Eat them straight out of the box or let them "stale up" for a few days....doesn't matter.  They're Peeps, and they're back.  And don't even talk to me about how "well Peeps are available for each holiday now blah blah blah"....including (but not limited to) heart-shaped peeps at Valentine's Day and green sugary trees for Christmas.  TRUE Peep aficionados know that Peeps are best--and should ONLY be consumed--during the months surrounding Easter.  There's even a Peeps store....did you know that??  Yup...right there at the National Harbor in Maryland...it's the Peeps & Company Store.  Downside, however.  More empty calories.  Damn!  I foresee more hours spent on the elliptical machine this month.

******
While still feeling in a funk about my boss leaving, one of my co-workers just brought me a chocolate covered strawberry.  Dang skippy if that doesn't just brighten up the day, right?

******
I just realized that I have the Mt. Everest of laundry waiting for me at home, and that there's no football this Sunday.  That just sucks.

******
It is an absolutely gorgeous day outside.  I decided to take a walk and enjoy some of the warmth and sunshine.  And it made me think.....although I really enjoyed my time in Virginia...I have to admit that I really like walking around in sunny-and-70-degree-weather.......in the middle of February...without a coat.

******
I am watching CNN right now...continuing coverage of the events in Egypt...and am completely awestruck.  18 days these people protested and demonstrated.  18!  That's a long time.  Can you imagine if, here in America, we ever got so fed up with our taxes or government not listening to the people that we all took to the streets in protest?  50 states worth of people screaming, chanting, and demanding to be heard at once.  Do you think we could pull it off...could we change the government?  Or do you think we'd all lose interest as soon as Tuesday night rolled around and the next episode of Glee hit the airwaves??

******
Well....I'm headed out tonight to celebrate the end of the week with friends.  It's been a long 5 days...a busier week for some more than others.  Today is my friend Anthony's last day at his job (by his choice) and is off to greener pastures....so that definitely deserves a toast.  Plus there's a return to normalcy that I look forward to (that light doesn't just turn itself off at night, don't you know).  And since I flat out refuse to think past sleeping in tomorrow morning....I'm just going to let whatever happens this weekend, happen.  Come what may.  C'est la vie.  Raise your glass.


And if these jeans continue to fit tomorrow....then THAT will be a good day too.