Friday, August 5, 2011

And now a word from our sponsor....

It's been a long week.

Seriously...I swear that Friday was supposed to be here, like, 3 days ago.  So imagine my surprise when I woke up and realized I still had to go to work today.  I'm thinking that, after a long week like this, all I feel like doing is going home, throwin' up the feet, tossin' back a beer and vegging out in front of the TV.  I'm not as big a TV junkie as I used to be, but there are times where tuning your brain out can be a good thing.   For the most part, I maintain dominance over the remote when it comes to what to watch - I have a death grip goin' on that thing at times.  There can be, however, a bit of a......hmm, what's the word.....struggle...over the remote when it comes to commercial breaks.  I personally don't care for the most part if commercials are on.  Again - it's mindless brain activity, so I can watch just about anything.  But Spanky prefers to cruise through the commercial breaks with the volume off.   Now sometimes, I can understand hitting the "Mute" button...especially when it comes to something like:




Because, you know, THAT'S not obnoxious after a long day at work. 

But I've also found that you miss a lot of great stuff if you tune out, fast forward through or mute those little 30 second nuggets of capitalism.

Some commercials stay with you forever.  For example...how many of you remember this one from...well, the decade is not important.  You can randomly mutter this catch phrase and I guarantee at least half the people around you will smile and say..."I remember that." What's interesting though, is that I've actually gotten into "bar debates" with people over what product this commercial was selling...Calgon or Biz (oh yeah...remember Biz Bleach?).  Eventually Calgon wins out, but ahhh...the power of advertising....



I have to admit though, I usually tune out car commercials.   I mean...how many times can you watch a convertible sports car zoom across the countryside or zip along the coast without stifling a yawn - no matter how cool the car is.  But do you remember the Honda Element commercials?  Those actually kinda made the car seem fun.



And somehow make me crave seafood all at the same time.

Meanwhile...once you buy that cool car, you've gotta insure it right? 




I swear I'd get Geico insurance just to have my agent talk to me in the pothole voice.

Course not all commercials can be sweet and hospitable.  I mean...some of the language in these can be just downright vulgar!




"Pickle you kumquat."  Yup.  I use that one when I get cut off in traffic.

And of course, no self respecting blog about commercials would be complete without at least ONE football commercial reference...




There are a million of these...Bud, Bud Light, Doritos, Fed Ex...I could go on for pages.  But we'll save that for another time.

So next time you think about stepping out during the next commercial break, you may want to reconsider.  I mean...can you really see the pothole commercial too many times in a day?

Oh!  Gotta go...Law and Order is back on....