Wednesday, May 8, 2013

"Laughter Through Tears Is One Of My Favorite Emotions"*


A friend of mine passed away recently. 

He was a good soul, always upbeat - always quick with a joke - I don't think I ever saw him in a bad mood.  I hadn't seen him in just over a year, but he was one of those people who, if you didn't see him for an extended period of time, your conversation would pick up as if you had just met the other day.  He always had a smile on his face and just by being around him, you couldn't help but having one on yours either.

I realize that death puts you into an introspective mood - but as opposed to just thinking about friends and family I hadn't seen in a while, I decided to just get on a plane and go visit them instead. 

I had a chance to spend time with one of my oldest, closest friends Jeff -


And the light of his life, Jacob.


...clearly part of a functionally dysfunctional family. 

In my travels over the weekend, I also got to see family:




And witness some of the crazy things they do when I'm not around:


It's not until I'm home again that I remember just how beautiful The Old Pueblo can be:




However, I never forget how awesome the food can be:


Sausage Deli

Magical Margaritas

And even at the end of an awesome weekend, I was able to bring a little bit home with me - as I nibbled on mom-made brownies...


...with a little on-plane liquid courage on the side.

All in all, a wonderful weekend filled with family, friends, food, laughter and love.

So even in death, my friend once again managed to put a smile on my face.

Thank you Nixon.  You will be missed.


*quote from Steel Magnolias - a fabulous movie if you haven't ever watched.