Thursday, February 11, 2016

A Wintery Pepperminty Patty Recipe (for National Peppermint Patty Day)

So having given up sugar for Lent, here we are one day after Ash Wednesday and I'm already pushing candy.  But it's Peppermint Patty Day...and I love peppermint patties.  Not the big ones - the little mini-sampler sized ones.  When I was younger, while driving home from school my mother would occasionally stop at a convenience store and treat my sister and I to an ice cold soda and a tiny York Peppermint Patty.  It was our little secret treat - not all the time, and it was just enough of a treat that it wouldn't ruin our dinner.  To this day, there is still something magical about the combination of carbonated water and minty chocolate that makes me think of those drives home and smile.
So how could I pass up the opportunity to try making them?


...and I'll let you in on a little secret...I actually made these last Sunday, before the start of sacrifice-everything season, so technically, I'm still on the wagon.  :-P 

These peppermint patties are definitely smooth and with a melt-in-your-mouth consistency.  They take a little bit of time to make - but this is a very simple recipe...you can even get the kids involved!!
I especially liked how well the flavors melded together - there wasn't any one taste that overpowered the other.  I used Simply Organic Peppermint Flavor (made with peppermint oil) and found that 1 1/2 teaspoons of peppermint was more than enough - if you use a peppermint extract, you may need to add a little more to get enough mint flavoring.  But since there's nothing to bake in this recipe, you can always sample as you go along.

...just don't sample too far, OK?

Another cool thing about this recipe - it's nut-allergy friendly.  You can use Guittard chocolates since they’re made in a nut-free factory (it says so right on the package :-) ).  And I read on The Nut-Free Mom blog that McCormick doesn't use peanuts or tree nuts in any of their facilities - so you can use their peppermint and vanilla extracts for this recipe*.




I have to tell you - I don't have nut allergies myself, but ever since the no-nut brittle recipe I made for my friend, I'm much more aware of food allergies and what's safe for my friends and their families.
Minty-flavored memories for everyone!!!!!


Peppermint Patty Recipe


Ingredients:
 2 tbsp butter
Pinch salt
4 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint flavor
½ tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar (plus a little for dusting)
1-2 cups semisweet chocolate chips



Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and salt – blend in condensed milk and add peppermint/vanilla extract. Beat in enough confectioners' sugar, a little at a time, to form a stiff dough.  It will seem a little crumbly – put everything on a lightly sugared surface and knead together.



Pinching off a bit of dough, use the warmth of your hand to form a one-inch ball.






Flatten the ball between your palms, place on silicone sheet or parchment paper firm the edges to form patties.




Let patties dry in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.




In a double boiler – or bowl over hot water method – melt the chocolate.

Lift the patties off the sheet carefully and flip over.  Using a basting brush, “paint” the chocolate on each patty and around sides.  Put back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to one hour.




Holding the patties chocolate side down, carefully paint the other side, set back on the sheet wet side up and let chill in the ‘fridge for another 1-2 hours.  Work quickly – the chocolate on the first side may try to melt in your hand.

Patties will keep refrigerated in an airtight container.  They can sit out at room temperature for about 2 hours before they get too soft.

*As always, I'm not a doctor or allergist - so please be sure to check all ingredients yourself to verify that they are acceptable to you and your family.  Safety first!   :-)


Recipe adapted by me from Allrecipes.com - find the original HERE