Friday, February 10, 2017

Scenes From A SB Weekend (that's Super Big to you - aka, The Big Game)

There are a wide variety of occasions we mark with great enthusiasm, festivity and celebration; weddings, birthdays, holidays, and sports championships.   I LOVE how we celebrate our sports championships - the pagentry, the parties, the food and fun.  Some see it as silly to watch grown men fight over a ball.  But I think it's fascinating to watch people who are otherwise complete opposites bond together in brotherhood over the love and loyalty to their team.  From CEOs to coal miners, maids to millionaires, you can be a fan with everything or nothing to your name.  Game after game we cheer or cry; an entire season of emotion culminating in one shot at glory - The Big Game!!!




I've never been to The Big Game before.  So I was VERY excited to make the trip to Houston, Texas to take part in all of the fabulousness the very huge national football conglomerate had to offer.  And while my team did not make it to The Big Game:




I'm just going to subtly remind everyone that we still have 6 of these:


Championship rings...not random photo-bombing dudes.

Which is more than Any.  Other.  Team.

(right now)

Soooooooo.......  😜

OK, my fan-dancing is done.

Sightseeing:

My weekend in Houston wasn't all about football.  I did manage to mosey on over to The Museum District for a little culture and cows:

The Children's Museum
Yup.  Cows.  Just hanging outside the "Moo-seum". 

😅

OK...sorry...that kinda hurt me too.  It was just too easy though.

Mecom Fountain

I always wondered what to do with those museum entry stickers after leaving.  Apparently, they become part of an art piece all their own...



Food:

No trip is ever complete without sampling the local-fare.  So I made sure to sample as much as my stomach could contain.   My first day I stopped off at The Honeymoon for a little bite to eat....

Did you see the size of that CHICKEN?

yeah...I said little.

No trip to Houston would be complete without having a little bit of BBQ:




OK...a whole ROOM full of BBQ....



What's a meal without dessert?  I just HAD to sample all of the sweet treats - like pecan pie and bacon chocolate-chip cookies


And pecan chocolate donuts.


A rough job - but someone had to do it.  If you need me, I'll be on the treadmill non-stop for the next month!!!

Puppies:

Not going to lie...as much as I love football, and TBG, I'm a sucker for its fluffy counterpart...Puppy Bowl!!!!!




Time out on the field:




I mean...WHO DOESN'T LOVE PUPPIES!!!!!

Celebrities:

There was also a lot of celebrity sighting.  I caught quick glances of singer John Legend (less than 3 feet away), and VP Mike Pence (not quite 3 feet away and surrounded by Secret Service).  I even managed whip out my phone fast enough to snap a few quick pics:

Ted Cruz
You  just never know who you're gonna meet...(or where)

Jeff with Bills legend Darryl Talley



Pre-Gaming It:


Our tickets to the game included tickets to the tailgate party, complete with food (more food!), drink and live music!

Zac Brown Band
There are upsides to being at a predominantly male-attended event....


What could possibly be taking him SUCH a long time in there...? Gab, gab, gab, meanwhile I'm standing here holding his purse the WHOLE TIME!

I always love a good paradigm shift.

The Big Game (TBG):

Not to sound boastful, but I've been to a reasonable number of stadiums in my life - college, baseball, basketball, etc.  But - after all the hype, there was something about the way the stadium, with it's huge logos, player images, ramps and windows, felt like it was looming larger than life over me.  Almost daring me to come inside for the greatest Sunday show of the season.





When I finally stepped into the stadium, I found myself overwhelmed by the vibrancy of the colors, enveloped by the noise, and assimilated into the energy of the crowd.   It may not have been my team out on the field, but it was my sport to celebrate with 70,000+ of my closest friends.

And finally, it was time for The Big Game!!!!




I've decided that having live football in front of you in addition a a 1000 foot big screen television above really is the best way to watch a game.

Halftime:

Whereas I normally would have all those great TBG commercials to keep me occupied before the halftime show begins, watching the speed and efficiency of the crews setting the stage proved to be WAY more entertaining!!!






And then the show began, and I just sat back and watched it all unfold in front of me.....


Like magic.

The Big Finale:

When I was about 14, the very first "TBG" parties I went to was for SB20.  The final was pretty ridiculous (46-10) and I remember everyone complaining about how it wasn't a great game because it was such a blowout.  From that, I learned the best games aren't complete blowouts that make you want to leave half-way through the 4th quarter, but the ones that keep you glued to your seat until the very end.



THIS....was one of those games.

Amazing.

The end:

To say that I had a great weekend feels like a bit of an understatement after everything I heard, saw, and tasted.  I would like to think that I'm a fairly decent writer of this blog - but even I don't think there are words to adequately describe those 4 days in Houston.  This wasn't my first championship game, and with any luck, it won't be my last.  But this definitely ranks as one of the best overall experiences in my life.


Yep, that's me...meeting The Commissioner of the NFL.  Just.  Awesome!!!

Not everyone understands why we place such high importance on sports, or teams, or championship games.  We tell people it's the teamwork, or the strategy, or even the pursuit of victory.  But I think we just like putting on our favorite team's colors and screaming for them at the top of our lungs across from someone screaming just as loudly for theirs for 3 hours each week.  Then when it's all over, you shake hands and buy each other a drink and send each other off with platitudes and gibes, waiting for the next week to roll around.  It's fun and it's frustrating - but it creates a great sense of comradery.

And it makes for one hell of a great party!!!!



*A special thank you to my friend Jeff for plying me with non-alcoholic drinks at the game, and a HUGE thank you to my awesome husband, who made this entire weekend possible (with a little help from that great big football organization) - I love you!!!